Monday, June 24, 2013

Lodging with a Toddler! Getting the most out of your Great Wolf Lodge stay


I've been looking forward to Great Wolf Lodge since well before Lexia was born (since before I was even married actually). 

Aside from my anxiety about wearing a bathing suit in public (which I will address in a later post), staying at a hotel with an indoor water park might be the most fun-per-minute getaway I can imagine. I haven't changed much from my eleven-year-old self when it comes to these kinds of amusements. A large pool will always get my attention. Huge water slides, an arcade and mini-golf (all just outside my doorstep) sends me into a tailspin of excitement. 

Needless to say, when Lexia's aunt and uncle (my in-laws) invited us to join them on a trip to Great Wolf Lodge, I was ecstatic. Not only would Lexia experience the water park, she would have the company of her two adorable cousins, who she just adores. 

I can honestly say that Great Wolf Lodge lived up to all my expectations. We returned from the Niagara Falls location yesterday and I am still a bit high from the adrenaline. 

That said, it's a pricey getaway. We booked two nights, purchased no extras, and left with a bill around $550 - and that's with the early bird special. I actually once spent an entire summer in Greece (flight included) for just a few hundred more than that. Even still, from what I understand, many families leave with a much heftier bill. I know one very reasonable, fiscally-responsible family of four that racked up a $1000 bill for a one night stay! 

Given the investment, you are going to want to make the most of your time there. Below are 10 tips to make the most of the time you have there with a toddler (and not break the bank in the process): 

1) Bring a cooler!
With some notable exceptions, I like to eat healthy. GWL is a bit lacking when it comes to quick, healthy options. Further, everything costs about 40% more than you would expect to pay elsewhere.  
We saved a lot of cash and headaches by packing a cooler full of transportable snacks. Every room comes with a decent sized mini fridge. We filled ours with fruit. We also packed yogourt, ready-made salads, and Lexia's organic goat milk, which, I'm quite sure, the Lodge doesn't carry. A bottle of wine will cost you a minimum of $33 at the lodge. I brought a bottle of my own for less than $10. 

2) Take advantage of free activities
Story time! From Greatwolf.com
There are plenty of ways to spend money at Great Wolf Lodge, but there are also some pretty great activities included with your stay.  These include story time every evening, interacting with the characters, and activities by the outdoor pool. We took advantage of the free "dance party" in the lobby at 9 p.m. This entails dimmed lights, adult dance tunes pumping from the sound system, and a professional DJ who will almost make you believe you're in a night club on Clifton Hill. Although Lexia was the youngest child on the 'dance floor', she quite confidently placed herself in the middle of the crowd and shook her booty with reckless abandon. It's one trait, I'm proud to say, she inherits from her mama!  

3) Time your fun strategically
When we first entered the park on Saturday afternoon, one trip down a water slide was a 25 minute investment. I later discovered that during dinner time and first thing in the mornings (the park opens at 9 a.m.) you can get down the same slides in less than 3 minutes. Had I known that in advance, I would have spent all the prime times in the pools with Lexia and reserved sliding for the off-peak hours. If you're the kind of person who wants a great "home base" lounge chair, get to the park early. If you like to avoid crowds in generally, consider planning your mini-golf, arcade and spa time during early afternoon when everyone else is in the park. This will leave you feeling like you have the park to yourself in the evening when most of the other guests have called it quits for dinner. 

4) Bring a stroller 
After getting in and out of the water park twice in one day, you may seek an alternative pass time in the late afternoon. Had we brought our stroller, we would have enjoyed the gorgeous day with a walk to the falls (not close by, but I love to walk). Without the stroller, even a quick stop in the arcade for a couple rounds of our favourite basketball game was out of the question. I would have also liked to spend more time in the spa boutique looking at their impressive product line, but that was a bit like bringing a hungry cat to an aquarium. Without a stroller to contain Lexi, she ran wildly about, knocking things off shelves and trying to eat everything. 

5) Bring extra suits
With a little one, you'll find yourself getting in and out of the park or pool more than you might have expected. Changing back into a wet bathing suit to return to the action just isn't pleasant. I brought two suits for myself and four for Lexia. Lexi would have been fine with three suits, as the little ones dry fast, but I could have used a spare. 

6) Bring a warm cover up
The water park is extremely warm. The downside however, is that makes the air conditioned walk back to your room seem incredibly cold. Protect your little one from chills by packing a cover up or blanket that you can dedicate to the wet trip through the hotel. 

7)  Wind your toddler down in the lazy Crystal River 
Crystal River from Greatwolf.com
Lexi had an amazing time, but the activities put her into hyperactive overdrive. In the kiddie pool, we had to control her from chasing down much older children for their basketballs. In the wave pool, we had to deter her instinct to wade further into deeper water. 

Crystal River was the one place she was able to chill out and take it all in. She was very happy to sit on my lap as I floated along on an inflatable tube.  Crystal River water is also the warmest in the park, making it a great way to fight off a chill! 

8) Ask for a 'Pack n Play'
The Lodge provides free Pack n Plays on a first come, first serve basis. This isn't advertised very aggressively and we didn't realize the service was available until about 8 p.m. on Saturday night. Surprisingly, they still had one available. It was delivered to our room in just a few minutes. 

9) Plan some dedicated "mommy time"
You may have booked your time at the Lodge with your kids in mind, but any spirited adult will be distracted by attractions of their own.  For some, that might be dawdling around in the enormous  gift shop. For others, a stroll around the themed property will prove irresistible. 


Niagara Rapids Run -a "roller coaster"
water slide.  From Greatwolf.com
My sister-in-law booked herself a massage at the spa. For me, 'mommy time' was 60 minutes to myself in the water park on Sunday evening. There were almost no lines, and I went down 14 water slides in that short period. Admittedly, I'm a tad childish, but until I got my own fun out of my system, I couldn't fully enjoy my time in the kiddie pools with Lexia because I felt like I was missing out.  

10) Plan a low-key "home" day 
Making the most of every minute comes with a price. By the time we got home on Monday afternoon, I was bone-weary exhausted. Lexia, who slept all the way home, was extra fussy but refused to nap again. I was tired in a way that I hadn't experienced since Lexi was a newborn and I had to survive off of little more than an hour of sleep at a time. It's the type of burnout that makes you fearful something bad will happen - like maybe you'll drop the baby on the way down the stairs or absentmindedly feed her Comment instead of rice cereal. Needless to say, I was very grateful I wasn't coming home to other commitments. 

Traveling with a toddler is hard work. Lexi was functioning at full-speed the entire weekend and her sleep was more fitful than usual. Take advantage of every opportunity for fun on your getaway, but give yourself permission to wind down when you get home - you're going to need the rest! 

No comments:

Post a Comment