Sunday, October 27, 2013

My First Coach Bag - From Anti-Designer to Frenzied Shopper


Overpriced designer accessories have long bewildered me. When I see a frumpy, poorly-dressed woman carrying a several hundred dollar bag, I just feel embarrassed for her. Does she really think that a brand name bag compensates for the fact that she put zero effort into finding clothes that fit or brushing her hair?  

Save the $400 you invested in the bag to get your hair done and buy a fresh, well-fitted dress (designer brand not required). I guarantee you there is not a straight man in the world who ever ogled a woman walking by because she had a great bag!  

On the side of the spectrum is the super-groomed, heavily made up brand .. er.... worshiper.  These women invest most of their energy and money in looking good and, as a result, they often do, but they can also come off as looking a bit desperate.  Desperate to stand out, desperate to feel superior, desperately willing to go into financial hardship just to know their bag is the most expensive in the room. 

I would also argue that these women are also guilty of giving men too much credit.
The high-quality, well-fitted, curve clinging clothing will surely get you noticed - but the extra $200 you spent to get the designer tag is probably wasted from the perspective of enhancing sex appeal.

I have always taken a more balanced approach to brands. I love shopping and have great respect for the power of clothing to transform your image. It’s important to me to look well put together and dress in a way that compliments my figure. I do take brand reputation and material quality into account when making purchasing decisions (I do own a Coach watch bought at a very competitive price during Bay Days), but I don’t break the bank for the swank appeal of a super brand.

Of course, from a ‘luxury goods’ point-of-view, I’m dirt poor, so I have an built-in motive to see through the hype of designer brands. I suppose you could accuse me of turning a matter of necessity into a virtue. 

Okay, so you now you understand how I’ve managed to get into my mid-thirties without every feeling compelled to get a Coach bag. Given I’ve made it this far, why the sudden change of heart? 

Firstly, as I mature, I am really starting to appreciate the value of well-made pieces. While it’s fun to update your closet with a few inexpensive, trendy items each season, I am increasingly gravitating to superior fabrics and well-crafted items that hold their value over time. 

Secondly, I’ve realized that I have underinvested in accessories over the years. I may think that a great dress will always do more for a woman’s allure than a  great handbag, but a great handbag can be incorporated into of your look up to seven days a week. I think it’s time to get a few accessories that mean as much to me as my favorite garments.  

Thirdly, a great handbag has exceptional longevity. No matter how much I may adore a garment, I guarantee you it will not be in my closet five years from now. Clothes fade, fray, stretch and don’t evolve with your personal style. A truly awesome, classic handbag may bring me joy for years to come. 

A Coach Outlet store recently opened up in my area, so the timing was ripe to strike. 
I made the mistake of taking my toddler sans stroller.  When the sales rep told me everything in the store was an additional 50% off the marked reductions, I was on a bit of a high - and my daughter was literally flying off the walls. She was running through the aisles, grabbing bags off shelves and trying to prop herself inside the display shelving. I actually broke a sweat trying to make a thoughtful purchasing decision while chasing my daughter through the crowd. 

Given the pressure I was under to make a quick decision, it’s amazing I didn’t walk out of there with a half dozen bags and a the need to take out a second mortgage on my house.  What I did leave with is my first Coach bag - the Park Leather Mini Duffle Crossbody in magneta. My review of the bag is here. 

It’s only been two days since that virgin excursion, but since then I have learned quite a bit about Coach bags, including how to read a Coach tag and how tell the difference between a direct-to-factory bag and a boutique bag. Armed by this knowledge, I went back to the outlet for a second purchase today.  

So,  what’s next for me now that I crossed over the the other side? Will I develop a long-lasting appreciation for designer handbags or will I get bored of the whole affair after the initial high wears off? 

It’s too soon to tell, but I’ll keep you posted!  

No comments:

Post a Comment