Sunday, October 27, 2013

The Coach Park Leather Mini Duffle Crossbody - My Review


For my very first Coach bag, I went for the Park Mini Duffle Crossbody in eye-catching magneta. I love that the “Coach” reference is subtle and secondary to the purse’s inherent merits.  I find the repeated-C signature Coach pattern to be tacky. A bag should be capable of making an impression based on it’s design - it shouldn’t have to scream “look at me, I’m brand name!”

I love that this bag is just solid leather with the tiniest “Coach” stamp in silver on one side.  The bag’s stunning colour alone ensures it pops against any outfit. Given that magneta is so vibrant, the merlot lining and embellishments tone it down to keep it sophisticated. 

I always gravitate to crossbody bags because they are so darn practical. As much as I might like the look of a dainty satchel or clutch, it’s simply not worth the sacrifice of giving up one of my hands. 

This little bag is great because, on the rare occasion when a hand-held purse is required, I can remove the crossbody strap for a more elegant look.  With a four inch drop, the top strap is just long enough to slip over your shoulder and tuck the purse under your arm, but only if the bag is sparsely populated, otherwise it will bulge uncomfortably under your arm. 

I also love the hardware on the crossbody strap. It’s a swivel hook lobster clasp that makes unclipping and re-clipping a cinch - perfect for mom’s like me who may need to attach it to a stroller handle.  

Great hardware for easy crossbody
conversion
The bag is very small. I had initially purchased it as an everyday work bag, but it will only work on days that I’m packing the bare essentials (wallet, work ID, lightly-packed makeup bag, work blackberry and personal phone). If I intend to carry any extras, like lunch or a layer of clothing, I need to switch it up for another bag. 

For many, it will be the perfect little companion for running errands because it’s so light and unobtrusive. For those of us with kids, however, it will probably work best as a compartment for mommy’s personal items as a companion to a larger duffle/baby bag. 

The bag’s “retail price” was $228, but after the tagged discount and 50% off everything in the store promotion, I paid about $93.  

What I didn’t know when I bought this bag is that it was Made For Factory (MFF), meaning that it was never sold in the full-price Coach boutiques.  Knowing what I know now, would I still have bought the bag? Honestly, probably not, simply because I feel the disingenuous marketing of MFF products is disrespectful to customers. On the other hand, I’m partly grateful I didn’t know about MFF products when I made the purchase because the bag is a lovely addition to my wardrobe and will be a fun statement piece for many of my outfits. 

It is after all, my very first Coach bag. I’m bound to be fond of it!
Lexia thinks it works well with her pink pyjamas


No comments:

Post a Comment