Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Surprise Sadness - Only 3.5 Months of Pregnancy Left


An interesting side effect of becoming a parent is how it fundamentally changes your personality. Before Lexia was born, I always saw myself as a “two-kids-at-the-very-most”, kind of a woman.
I didn’t want to be the kind of woman who was mostly a “mom” with a career and personal identity that came secondary. I didn’t want to live in a messy house, overtaken by toddler chaos, finding myself running out the door with no makeup and dirty sweatpants. I didn’t want to sacrifice financial comfort and career accomplishments to raise a family.
Then, at the age of 34, I had Lexia ….and the world became a very different place.
Suddenly I realized that there’s no more meaningful activity I could be involved with than raising a healthy and well-adjusted child.
The extortionately common practice of bringing a child into the world now seems like an everyday miracle to me.  How magical that two lovers can decide to bring another human into this world. How astounding that I can play such a profound role in creating and nurturing life.
As much as I eagerly await the birth of my second child, a small part of me is already mourning the fact that this one is my last.
Assuming all goes well with this pregnancy, this will be the last time I ever carry a child inside my body. Never again will I experience being 5+ months pregnant. With every week of pregnancy that passes, another enchanted chapter in my life comes to a close.
Despite myself, and in contrast to many of my own ideas about the ideal family, I have floated the possibility of a third child with my husband and I’m quite certain his resolve to stop at two is deep-rooted and unwavering.
His argument is that two children affords us all of the benefits of parenting – and a sibling relationship for our kids – with more time and resources to create a great life for us all.
Intellectually, I agree with him. Emotionally, it’s bittersweet. 
Pregnancy and parenthood has been such a blessing, that I am surprisingly saddened to realize that  I only have three and half months of pregnancy left in this lifetime. 
Here's to making the most of it! 


1 comment:

  1. As claimed by Stanford Medical, It is in fact the one and ONLY reason this country's women live 10 years more and weigh 19 kilos less than us.

    (And actually, it is not related to genetics or some hard exercise and EVERYTHING to do with "HOW" they are eating.)

    BTW, What I said is "HOW", and not "WHAT"...

    TAP on this link to determine if this quick quiz can help you unlock your real weight loss possibility

    ReplyDelete